Almost everyone experiences an occasional headache at some point, and nobody likes it. While most headaches are not a symptom of a severe health condition, some are. This is why it is vital to seek medical help if your headaches are becoming more severe or frequent.
Different Kinds of Headaches
Shockingly, there are over 150 different types of headaches that are divided into two distinct categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. A primary headache isn’t a disease symptom; it is the leading medical problem. Therefore, you can usually treat primary headaches with at-home remedies or over-the-counter medication. Meanwhile, secondary headaches are symptoms of medical conditions and require urgent medical attention.
Primary headaches include:
- Tension headache
- Cluster headaches
Medical conditions that cause secondary headaches include:
- Head injury
- Severe dehydration
When Should You Seek Immediate Medical Care for a Headache?
Primary headaches are painful, but you usually don’t have to worry about them. On the other hand, secondary headaches are certainly concerning. Therefore, you should seek medical help immediately if you have any following symptoms:
- More frequent headaches
- Your headaches are increasing in severity
- Your headache symptoms change
- Your headache or migraine is accompanied by dizziness, weakness, fever, diarrhea, persistent vomiting, numbness, shortness of breath, slurred speech or vision loss
- Unexpected symptoms affecting your eyes, ears, nose or throat
- A persisting headache that is only getting worse or won’t go away
- Your headaches interfere with your daily activities
- Sneezing, coughing, bending over, exercise or sexual activity causes headaches
- The recommended dosage of over-the-counter medications is not adequate for your headache relief
- You have frequent headaches or migraines that began after a head injury or other trauma
When it comes to your health, it’s better to be safe than sorry. At Rapid Immediate Care, we understand how difficult it is to live with consistent headache pain and will help you find relief. So, contact us or visit our clinics in Crystal Lake or Hoffman Estates, IL, to schedule an appointment today.